The Story of Leach Pottery
Words by Hugo Ross
Nov 04, 2018
The Leach Pottery was founded in 1920 by Bernard Leach and Shoji Hamada in St Ives, Cornwall, in the United Kingdom.
The buildings grew from an old cow / tin-ore shed in the 19th century to a pottery in the 1920s with the addition of a two-storey cottage built later, on to the lower end of the pottery (the Pottery is built on a steep hill over an ancient river bed), followed by a completely separate cottage at the top of the site added by Leach in 1927.
The pots here are predominantly made with a kick wheel, use stoneware clay from Doble's claypit in St Agnes, Cornwall - much the same clay as was used in the original Leach Standard Ware production. They are Imperfect and beautiful; the perfect balance of wabi sabi.
‘A good pot only reveals itself very slowly’ Bernard Howell Leach